Students may not attend school without acceptable written proof (including dates) of immunizations.
Section 2164 of the New York Public Health Law requires the following:
- 4 or more doses of diphtheria toxoid (DPT or DT)
- 3 or more doses of trivalent oral polio vaccine (OPV)
or inactivated polio vaccine (IPV)
- Live measles vaccine given after 12 months of age
- Live rubella vaccine given after 12 months of age
- Live mumps vaccine given after 12 months of age
- Second dose of measles (MMR) mandated by
7 years of age and/or 1st grade
- Haemophilus Influenza Type B (Hib) (prior to enrollment in any Pre-K program)
- Hepatitis B (3 doses) mandated for all students
prekindergarten – 12
- Varicella Vaccine mandated for students in grades
- Varicella Vaccine #2 mandated for students in grades Kindergarten,
first, sixth and seventh grades
- Tdap Vaccine is mandated for 11 year olds entering grades 6 through 12 who did not receive it
in grade 6
Children may be admitted to school provided they have an appointment to receive the next dose of a series. School nurses will monitor compliance and students will be excluded from school if appointments are missed.
Proof of adequate immunization must include dates of inoculation on a stamped physician certificate. Medical exemptions require a stamped physician certificate. Religious exemptions require a signed statement by parent/guardian.
Note: Students registering in the spring of the year before enrollment must be fully immunized before the first day of school.
There are exemptions from immunizations provided for by the law where
immunization, in a physician’s opinion, would endanger the child’s
health, or where immunization is contrary to the parents’/guardians’
sincerely-held religious beliefs. Applications for exemption on either of
the above grounds must be presented to the Yonkers Public Schools
Immunizations may be obtained from a private physician or the Westchester
County Health Department (FREE OF CHARGE) by making an
appointment at Westchester County Health Department Yonkers Office,
20 South Broadway, Yonkers, NY 10701 (914) 231-2500/2522.