"The Public Schools of Yonkers were maintained in separate districts for
some years after the city was incorporated, and were consolidated in a city system
in 1881. At that time there were five schools in the city. Nos. 5, 4, and 1 were
ungraded schools in the suburbs, and had only one room each. No. 3 was at
Moshola, in the section annexed to New York city. The children in the densely
populated section of the city were in schools Nos. 2 and 6."
--- Yonkers Illustrated Issued by the Yonkers Board of Trade c. 1900