We have had many exciting events happening our school:
- Each Tuesday and Wednesday, all students have had a healthy snack thanks to a grant through our Food Services Department of the Yonkers Public Schools. On Tuesdays, student have a piece of fruit such as a banana or pear. On Thursdays, they have a veggie. These have included sugar peas or broccoli so far. Each week is a different selection. This healthy program will continue until the spring.
- On Friday, October 25th, over a dozen volunteers from Regeneron, a pharmaceutical company, helped facilitate a STEM (Science, technology, engineering, math) activity. Volunteer New York and the Westchester Children’s Museum were also partners with our school in this collaborative effort. All students from Kindergarten to Grade 6 used Keva Planks to create buildings. Please ask your child about their learning experience.
- Twenty-two students participated in the 5K of the Yonkers Marathon. We will have over 25 representatives including parents and the principal of Thomas Cornell Academy participating in the Chilly Hilly Run in North Yonkers on Saturday, October 26 and the Terry Ryan Run in Hastings on Sunday, November 10th.
- Our Dual Language program is in its fourth year at TCA from Pre-K to Grade 3. All three Pre-K classes and both Kindergarten classes are Dual Language. We are the only school in Yonkers that provides Dual Language.
- Title I Teacher Ms. Manzo and Title III Teacher Ms. Garcia provided over 25 parents with breakfast and a valuable information session on ways to help your child have a successful school year on October 25.
- Our evening parent-teacher conference will be Tuesday, December 10 beginning at 5 PM. The afternoon sessions will be from 1 to 3 PM on Friday, December 13. We will be sending home sign-up sheets for the conferences in November.
Last year, we had students late over 5,000 times. There are days this year where we have more than 40 students late for one day. We need to do better. We NEED your help for students to arrive on time!!!! Please help us. Students should be in school by 8:30!!! If they are having breakfast, they should be here by 8:20. Teachers pick up the student at 8:35. We NEED your help in enabling the teachers to be able to teach without students interrupting the lessons due to lateness. THANK YOU!!!!
Please let me know if I can be of assistance and PLEASE keep encouraging your child to read daily!