Yonkers Special Education Parent Teacher Association
To work in collaboration with the Yonkers Public School District for the purpose of providing education to parents and the broader community on Special Education issues and services. We will work to foster understanding, respect, support and appropriate education for all students with different abilities in our community.
Our hopes is to create a network of parents, educators, and administrators who will work cooperatively and constructively to meet the needs of all students receiving special education services in the most integrated environment, with appropriate supports in place, to ensure that the students will learn and be valued members of their school community.
The Yonkers Special Education Parent Teacher Association represents all 39 schools of the Yonkers School District in addition to those classified students in preschool and in out of district programs. We provide a forum for parents, teachers, support personnel and administrators to network. We provide education and support through workshops and emails.
- To ensure that all children receive an education that allows them to reach their full potential.
- To bring together parents, families and teachers of children with special needs for sharing of experiences.
- To educate parents about special education, including the identification and placement procedures for children with special needs.
- To advocate for children with special needs and their right to a free and appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment.
- To be a positive and solution-oriented group, serving as a resource to families of children with special needs from preschool through high school