Dear Cornell Academy Parents/Guardians:
I hope you and your families are safe and staying cool during the stretches of hot weather.
· Summer school registration ends Friday, May 28.
o There are two sets of summer school starting July 7th-August 5th from 8:30 to 12:30. Transportation, lunch, and breakfast are included.
§ The first summer program is for all PK-Grade 5 students and will take place at over six different locations. The registration form is on our gallery above. Click ‘learn more’ on how to register for the program.
§ There is a Multilingual Learner Academy taking place at Hostos School.
· I NEED your help. Each year, the district has each school complete a parent survey as part of the School Comprehensive Plan. The link for the survey is on the gallery of photos above and on the right hand side with the tab reading University of Chicage parent impact study. I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IF YOU CAN COMPLETE THE SURVEY.
· The 6th Grade Moving Up Ceremony is on Monday, June 21 at 9:30. Details to follow.
If I can be of assistance please email me firstname.lastname@example.org
Edward T. Beglane, Ed.D.
Thomas Cornell Academy
15 St. Mary’s Street
Yonkers, NY 10701
“We persevere at home and in school.”Congratulations to the Thomas Cornell Academy 5th and 6th Grade My Brothers’ Keeper Chapter for finishing in first place in a Battle of the Brothers competition with different Yonkers Schools. Ten of our MBK participants earned first place trophies and our school has a large trophy for winning! The ten events our “Princes” competed in were:
- Math trivia, Science trivia, MBK trivia, Scavenger Hunt, Floppy Birds, Jumping Jacks, push-ups, sit-ups, foul shots and dribble & shoot
The 5th and 6th Grade students who are participants in the MBK program since early February have learned about the 4R’s of the program that was initiated by President Obama. They are: royalty, responsibility, respect, and relationships. Mr. Greg Joyner from the Yonkers Public Schools facilitates the weekly sessions.
- Assessment is a Tier 2 Word for test or exam. The Yonkers Public Schools are giving assessments to all students to ‘take the temperature’ of where students are in terms of their learning. These assessments will give us a picture, although not a complete picture, of where each child is in comparison to classmates and students from other YPS schools. Based on the assessment data, our team of professional educators will be able to make educational decisions to help all of the students move forward academically for the remainder of this year and next year. The two assessments are Benchmark (YPS reading program) and DataMate (20-question math assessment).
- The Assessment (testing) dates:
- Grades 3-6
- Wednesday, May 19th---All students will take the Benchmark (English Language Arts) assessments remotely
- Wednesday, May 26t All students will take the DataMate (Math) assessments on Flex Wednesday, May 26th remotely
- Grade 2
- Monday, May 17th Benchmark/Tuesday, May 18th DataMate
- Remote students---Wednesday May 19
- Grade 1
- Monday, May 24 Benchmark/Tuesday, May 25 DataMate
- Thursday, May 27 Benchmark/Friday, May 28 DataMate
- Tuesday, June 1-Friday, June 4th
- Grades 3-6
- NYSESLAT (New York State English as a Second Language Achievement Test) is taking place throughout the month of May at Cornell Academy and all schools in Ney York State:
- The purpose of the NYSESLAT is to annually assess the English language proficiency level of English Language Learners enrolled in Grades K–12 in New York State schools. The test gives the state, schools, parents, and teachers important information about the English language development of ELLs/MLLs.
- Ms. Calix and Ms. Garcia have been working diligently assessing our ELL students in Grades K-Grade 6. Parent letters with notifications were sent home by our two teachers back in April.
If you have any questions, concerns, or comments on the assessments, please feel free to contact me via email email@example.com or by phone 914 376-8315.