The Yonkers Public Schools is committed to providing an educational and working environment that promotes respect, dignity and equality. The Board recognizes that discrimination, such as harassment, hazing and bullying, are detrimental to student learning and achievement. These behaviors interfere with the mission of the district to educate its students and disrupt the operation of the schools. Such behavior affects not only the students who are its targets but also those individuals who participate and witness such acts.
To this end, the Board condemns and strictly prohibits all forms of discrimination, such as harassment, hazing and bullying on school grounds, school buses and at all school-sponsored activities, programs and events. Discrimination, harassment, hazing or bullying that takes place at locations outside of school grounds, such as cyberbullying, which creates or can be reasonably expected to create a material and substantial interference with the requirements of appropriate discipline in the operation of the school or impinge on the rights of other students are prohibited, and may be subject to disciplinary consequences. (BOE Policy 0115)
Any allegation of harassment, intimidation, or bullying will be investigated accordingly. Students, parents/guardians, staff, and community members are encouraged to alert school personnel and report alleged incidents of harassment, intimidation, and bullying by doing the following:
- Talk to your parents/guardians
- Talk to your teacher, nurse, or school counselor
- Talk to your principal or assistant principal
- Talk to any adult in the school setting with whom you feel comfortable
- Contact your child's teacher, nurse, or school counselor for assistance
- Contact the your child’s principal or assistant principal if the issue is continues
- Contact the building Dignity for All Students Act Liaisons (DASA) liaison if the issue remains unresolved
Whenever possible, go directly to school personnel for an immediate assistance.