The School Choice Process February 3 - February 17, 2018
The School Choice Process Online Application
Submission Period for September 2018 Has Concluded
Online School Choice
The Yonkers Public Schools offers you and your child many exciting educational options. The Online School Choice Process is a key component that takes place once a year.
Who Must Submit an Application?
School Choice Application information is mailed to:
- Students registered new for September 2018
- Students currently enrolled in transition grades
- 6th graders in prekindergarten through grade 6 schools, except for those at Montessori Schools 27 and 31, and 5th graders at School 17 and Museum School 25
- 8th graders, except for those at Palisade Preparatory School and Yonkers Montessori Academy
All School Choice Applications must be completed online.
Parent Assistance Center
To help parents with the Online School Choice Process, The Parent Assistance Center, located at the Registration and Information Center, One Larkin Center, will be available from Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. The center is equipped with computers, Internet access, and volunteers to assist with the online application process and to answer any questions you may have.
The School Choice Process provides parents the opportunity to select from a number of any grade-appropriate Yonkers public school.
There are two (2) types of preference given to applicants – sibling and attendance zone.
First preference is given to siblings of currently enrolled students based upon seat availability if the school is selected as the first choice on the official application. Siblings are defined as brothers or sisters living in the same household. Sibling preference does not apply to schools or programs that have entrance requirements or require special education placement.
Second Preference is associated with school attendance zones. Most schools have attendance zones. These schools give preference based upon seat availability to students living within the attendance zone of the school.
School assignments for attendance zone schools are made in the following order:
- Eighty percent (80%) of the available seats will go to attendance zone students who request the school as their first choice.
- Twenty percent (20%) of the available seats will be made available to students from throughout the school district who request the school.
Citywide Instructional Programs
Applications for Citywide Instructional Programs are accepted from any student without serving any particular attendance zone. Citywide Instructional Programs include Montessori Schools 27 and 31, Yonkers Montessori Academy, Riverside High School, Saunders Trades and Technical High School, Yonkers Middle/High School (grades 9-12) and PEARLS Hawthorne School. Some programs have academic entrance requirements. Sibling preference only applies to programs that do not have entrance requirements.