The School Choice Process
September 2017 School Choice Process Online Application Submission Period
Saturday, February 4, 2017 - Saturday, February 18, 2017
Online School Choice
The Yonkers Public Schools offers you and your child many exciting educational options. The Online School Choice Process is a key component that takes place once a year.
To take advantage of these opportunities, you must actively participate in the process. A Parent Assistance Center with knowledgeable staff and computers is available to assist parents/guardians at the Registration and Information Center at One Larkin Center. The school district reserves the right to place students based on a sibling already in the school, the seating capacity, specific program, entrance requirements, and proximity to the student's home.
Who Must Submit an Application?
School Choice Application information is mailed to currently enrolled students in the following categories:
- Students new to the Yonkers Public Schools for September 2017
- Sixth grade students at prekindergarten to grade 6 schools, except for those at Montessori School 27 and Montessori School 31
- All eighth grade students except for those at Palisade Preparatory School and Yonkers Montessori Academy
- Currently enrolled Kindergarten students at Yonkers Early Childhood Academy who are transitioning to 1st grade.
All School Choice Applications must be completed online.
When are parents be notified about student placement for September?
The District notifies parents and students by mail of their September school assignment by the end of June.
Parents/guardians may appeal their child's school assignment after the student's school assignment letter has been received in the mail. All appeals are reviewed and processed based on the nature of the request and seat availability in the requested school and grade. If no seat is available, the student will be placed on a wait list which will remain active until October 31st of the academic year. The Appeal of School Assignment form must be completed online at www.yonkerspublicschools. org and submitted by July 15. Computers and assistance are available to parents/guardians at the Registration and Information Center at One Larkin Center. If a seat becomes available, the family will be contacted by the Registration Department.
How are students placed in schools?
There are two (2) types of preference given to applications submitted during the School Choice Process: sibling and attendance zone.
First preference is given to siblings of currently enrolled students based upon seat availability if the school is selected as the first choice on the official application. Siblings are defined as brothers or sisters living in the same household. Sibling preference does not apply to schools or programs that have entrance requirements or require special education placement.
Most schools have attendance zones. These schools give preference based upon seat availability to students living within the attendance zone of the school. Students are placed in schools according to the following factors:
School assignments for attendance zone schools are made in the following order:
- Eighty percent (80%) of the available seats will go to attendance zone students who request the school as their first choice.
- Twenty percent (20%) of the available seats will be made available to students from throughout the school district who request the school. All school placements are made in accordance with the seating capacity of the school and the respective programs. Every effort will be made to give sibling preference provided that the sibling is duly registered for the Yonkers Public Schools and submits a School Choice Application during the official School Choice period.
Some highly selected schools may require a lottery for student assignments; these schools may change annually. The lottery is only available for online applications submitted during the School Choice Process for the school selected as the first (1st) choice.
NOTE: To participate in the School Choice Process, your child must be registered prior to commencement of the School Choice period.