• School Choice Process

  • The School Choice Application Submission Period For September 2023 Concluded at 4:00PM February 28, 2023

    Need to Register A Child for School?
    Welcome! Please Visit Student Enrollment to Begin the Registration.

About #YonkersSchoolChoice

  • Yonkers Public Schools offers your child and you many exciting educational options. The Online School Choice Process is a key component that takes place once a year.

    To take advantage of these opportunities, you must actively participate in the process. To participate in the School Choice Process, your child must be registered prior to commencement of the School Choice period, which is February 14 - 28, 2023.

    A Parent Support Center with knowledgeable staff and computers is available to assist parents/guardians in the Student Enrollment office at One Larkin Center. The School District reserves the right to place students based on the seating capacity in the selected school and grade, school or program admission requirements, as well as sibling and attendance zone preference. The District notifies parents and students by mail of their September school assignment by the end of June.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    Who participates in the School Choice Process?

    Students new to the District for September and currently enrolled students in transition grades.

    • New students for September 2023. If your child is not registered, click or tap here to start the process.
    • Sixth grade students at prekindergarten to grade 6 schools, except for those at Montessori School 27 and Montessori School 31 who are automatically assigned to Yonkers Montessori Academy, and 5th grade students at School 17 and Museum School 25, who are automatically assigned to Yonkers Middle High School.
    • All eighth grade students except for those at Barack Obama School for Social Justice and Yonkers Montessori Academy.

    How are students placed in schools?

    All school placements are made in accordance with the seating capacity of the school and the respective programs. Every effort will be made to give sibling preference provided that the sibling is duly registered with the District and submits a School Choice Application during the official School Choice Period.

    There are two types of preferences given to applications submitted during the School Choice Process: sibling and attendance zone for elementary school students in grades Prekindergarten through 8.

    Sibling Preference

    First preference is given to siblings of currently enrolled students based upon seat availability if the school is selected as the first (1) choice on the online School Choice Application. Siblings are defined as brothers or sisters living in the same household. Sibling preference does not apply to schools or programs that have entrance requirements or require special education placement.

    Attendance Zone

    Most schools have attendance zones. The schools give preference based upon seat availability to students living within the attendance zone of the school. Students are placed in schools according to the following factors:

    • Eighty percent (80%) of the available seats will go to the attendance zone students who request the school as their first (1) choice.
    • Twenty percent (20%) of the available seats will be made available to students from throughout the school district who request the school as their first (1) choice. Attendance zone does not apply to these elementary schools: Yonkers Montessori Academy, Montessori 27 and Montessori 31.


Lea esta página en español