School Choice Process February 8-22, 2020
Yonkers Public Schools offers your child and you many exciting educational options.
The Online School Choice Process is a key component that takes place once a year. To take advantage of these opportunities, you must actively participate in the process.
To participate in the School Choice Process, your child must be registered prior to commencement of the School Choice period.
A Parent Support Center with knowledgeable staff and computers is available to assist parents/guardians in the Student Enrollment office at One Larkin Center.
The School District reserves the right to place students based on the seating capacity in the selected school and grade, school or program admission requirements, as well as, sibling and attendance zone preference.
The District notifies parents and students by mail of their September 2020 school assignment by the end of June 2020.
Who MUST complete an Online School Choice Application for the 2020-2021 School Year?
Who MUST complete an Online School Choice Application for the 2020-2021 school year?
Students new to the District for September and currently enrolled students in transition grades:
- New Students for September 2020. If your child is not registered, contact Student Enrollment by phone, (914) 376-8050 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Sixth grade students at prekindergarten to grade 6 schools, except:
- Montessori School 27 and Montessori School 31 who are automatically assigned to Yonkers Montessori Academy
- 5th grade students at School 17 and Museum School 25 who are automatically assigned to Yonkers Middle High School
- 8th students except:
- those at Palisade Preparatory School and Yonkers Montessori Academy
How are Students Placed in Schools?
How are students placed in schools?
All school placements are made in accordance with the seating capacity of the school and the respective programs.
Every effort will be made to give sibling preference provided that the sibling is duly registered with the District and submits a School Choice Application during the official School Choice Period. There are two types of preferences given to applications submitted during the School Choice Process: sibling and attendance zone.
First preference is given to siblings of currently enrolled students based upon seat availability if the school is selected as the first (1) choice on the official application. Siblings are defined as brothers or sisters living in the same household. Sibling preference does not apply to schools or programs that have entrance requirements or require special education placement.
Most schools have attendance zones. The schools give preference based upon seat availability to students living within the attendance zone of the school. Students are placed in schools according to the following factors:
- Eighty percent (80%) of the available seats will go to the attendance zone students who request the school as their first (1) choice.
- Twenty percent (20%) of the available seats will be made available to students from throughout the school district will request the school as their first (1) choice.