Transportation Facts to Know
The Yonkers Public Schools Transportation Department contributes to student achievement by ensuring that our students have a safe and reliable means of getting to and from school and school related activities.
As it is not possible for the buses to stop at each child’s door, bus stops may be approximately a half-mile from the student’s home. Selection of safe bus stops is the District’s responsibility, but the safety of children traveling to and from the stops is the responsibility of the parent or guardian, just as if the child were walking to and from school. Scheduled pick-up and drop-off times are estimated and may vary from day to day.
Transportation is provided in accordance with Yonkers Board of Education policy and New York State Education Department regulations and guidelines.
Transportation Eligibility Criteria
- Transportation will be provided ONLY to students who attend a school that is at least 1.5 miles from the home address or have an IEP that requires transportation service.
- Special Education students receive transportation as specified in their Individual Education Plan (IEP).
- Students eligible for transportation will be notified before school begins in September.
- Students attending parochial schools within the City of Yonkers must submit an application for transportation every year by April 1st.
- Only students 8 years old and in 3rd grade or older are allowed off the bus at their assigned bus stops. All younger students and curb to curb IEP students must be met by a parent/guardian or designee.
High School Students
- High School students must pay for bus transportation to public and non-public high schools.
- The cost for a Student MetroCard is $58.00 each month ($580 for the school year September to June).
- Any high school student may purchase, at his/her high school, a Student MetroCard for public transportation (Bee-Line Bus).
- Families who meet the District Policy (reside one and a half (1.5) miles or more from school) and provide documentation from the Department of Social Services indicating qualifying family income may receive transportation free of charge. The student's name must appear on the household's budget sheet, which must be dated no earlier than August 1st of the current school year.
- There will be a $58.00 charge for all lost Student MetroCards.
Requests need to be renewed each school year.
Una nueva solicitud debe presentarse cada año escolar