Home Energy Assistance
The low income Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) is a federally funded program administered by the Westchester County Department of Social Services that assists eligible low-income, elderly and disabled residents with home heating costs.
Where to apply
- Applications for Regular HEAP may be submitted online at myBenefits.ny.gov.
- Public Assistance and Food Stamp customers can apply for HEAP at their local social services district office. If you have questions, call (914) 995-3333. These households can mail their completed applications to the HEAP Unit, 112 East Post Rd. 5th Fl., White Plains, NY 10601.
- Download the application, complete, print and sign. A Spanish version is available.
- Individuals over the age of 60, permanently disabled or in receipt of SSI can apply for HEAP through the Westchester County Department of Social Services at (914) 995-3333. These households can also mail their completed applications to the HEAP Unit, 112 East Post Rd. 5th Floor, White Plains, NY 10601.
- Other individuals can apply for HEAP at one of the local Westchester Community Opportunity Program (WESTCOP) offices or contact them for information at (914) 592-5600.
Criteria for emergency HEAP benefit
Your electricity is necessary for your heating system to work and is either shut-off or scheduled to be shut off or
- Your natural gas heat is off or scheduled to be shut-off or
- You are out of or in danger of running out of fuel (oil, propane, wood, or coal) or
- Your essential applicant owned heating equipment is inoperable