Per NYSED guidance schools and school districts should include the Food Services Department in reopening plan discussions so they are able to: provide all enrolled students with access to school meals each school day whether school is in-person or remote; address all applicable health and safety guidelines; ensure compliance with Child Nutrition Program requirements; and communicate with families through multiple means, in the languages spoken by families.
School meals will continue to be available to all students, during In-Person, Hybrid and Online Remote Instruction.
In-Person, meals will be provided while maintaining appropriate social distancing between students. Students do not need to wear face coverings when seated and eating so long as they are appropriately socially distanced.
The school will ensure social distancing between individuals while eating in the cafeteria. If not feasible, meals may be served in alternate areas (e.g., classrooms) or in staggered meal periods to ensure social distancing and proper cleaning and disinfection between students.
- Parents/guardians will be notified that lunch and snacks from home MUST be placed in disposable bags
- Increase table spacing in cafeteria, if necessary, provide physical barriers to maintain social distancing guidelines
Meals will be provided to students using two (2) feeding models:
- In-Person Meals during Hybrid and On-Site Instruction
- Cafeteria feeding
- Classroom feeding
- Access to Meals during Hybrid and Online Remote Instruction
- Grab & Go Meals will be available Monday-Friday, following the school district’s Board of Education calendar, for student and/or parent/guardian pick up at each school building. Meals will also be available for bulk pick up.
In-person meals are available for student consumption while in school. Students scheduled to eat in the cafeteria will receive hot meal service. Students eating in the classroom will receive a cold Grab & Go meal.
Each feeding model implemented, will offer three (3) of the five (5) food components to satisfy nutritional guidelines. Whether the students have in-person instruction or remote instruction, Food Services is capable of full service feeding for all enrolled students. All feeding models adhere to NYSED, federal, and local health and food safety guidelines.
- All students arriving in the cafeteria will follow social distancing guidelines
- Once the parent/guardian submits medical documentation for student food allergies, Food Services will adhere to student feeding restrictions, following existing District protocols, whether inside the cafeteria or other settings in the school
- All food-sharing tables have been dismantled, food sharing will not be permitted
- All eating tables and seats will be cleaned and sanitized prior to the next group of students arriving for meals
- All leftovers will be discarded
- Cashless point of sale for meal accountability will continue
- Disposable utensils will be utilized
- Food Service staff will wear and regularly change PPE, consisting of disposable gloves and surgical masks
- Students and staff will be regularly reminded about the importance of hand washing, and as necessary, for visibly soiled hands they will be directed to wash them. This will be done prior to entering the serving area and when leaving the cafeteria.
- All National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program requirements will be met
- Child Nutrition Program flexibilities for milk, whole grain and sodium will be implemented when/where necessary
Communication of information for Nutrition will follow the process outlined in the Communication/Family and Community Engagement section of this plan, which notes comprehensive information is available www. YonkersPublicSchools.org.
- All food service professionals are required to wear clean, stain and wrinkle-free uniforms and rubber-soled footwear
- Social Distancing
- Floor markers following social distancing guidelines will be placed on all kitchen floors indicating where each employee is expected to work
- All staff are required to wear PPE including disposable gloves and surgical masks
- All staff are required to change PPE when soiled
Food Services will serve In-Person and Remote Instruction meals to students following the schedule implemented by YPS. All students are required to wear face coverings while entering the cafeteria and hand sanitizer will be available.
Hybrid and On-Site Learners:
- Grab & Go breakfast will be offered to each student as they arrive at school, allowing them to eat in their respective classrooms
- Hot lunch will be offered to each student who is scheduled to eat in the school cafeteria. A cold lunch option is also be available.
- Grab & Go lunch will be offered to each student who is not scheduled to eat hot lunch in the cafeteria; lunch will be eaten in their respective classrooms
Online Remote Learners:
- Grab & Go breakfast and lunch will be available to each YPS student at their respective school for pick-up on a daily basis.
- The District is considering additional opportunities to provide student meals through satellite Grab & Go locations throughout the City of Yonkers making breakfast and lunch pick up more accessible to students. Locations will be determined based on communication to the community following the process outlined in the Communication/ Family and Community Engagement section of this plan.