Palisade Preparatory School
Physical Education Department Syllabus
- Attendance: Participation is the main objective of Physical Education, therefore, attendance is mandatory for completing the requirements of the course. Excessive absences will result in a failure. Only students with medical documentation will be exempt from this expectation.
- Appropriate Class Preparation: Appropriate attire is to be work for every gym class:
- Athletic sneaker, no exceptions
- No jewelry
- No gum, candy, food or beverages
- No coats to be worn inside the gym
- No hats
- No electronic devices
- Medical Excuses:
- If you have a medical problem that may prevent you from participating at any point in the year, you must provide a written medical note from a DOCTOR!
- A written excuse from a parent or guardian must be presented to the nurse. The nurse will provide the proper paperwork for the PE Department.
- Medical excuses that are valid for more than two weeks will be dealt with on a individual basis.
Rules & Procedures-
- In Person Expectations (Changes due to Covid-19 Pandemic):
- Students are expected to be present in class everyday they have physical education. They are expected to also be prepared for class with the proper footwear. Students are to wear sneakers with rubber soles. No Boots, flats, heels or open toes shoes. The sneakers must have laces.
- Students are expected to participate everyday at a high level. They will be graded based upon effort, never on ability. A large portion of their grade will be based upon their effort.
- Upon arrival into the gymnasium the students will have to hand in their cell phones. Each student will be given a specific number in the cell phone chart. They will place the phone in the chart and the chart will be held in a safe location for the period. If a student refuses to hand in their phone they will not be allowed into the gymnasium.
- No students will be allowed use of the locker rooms. They will be locked and remain locked through out the day.
- If a student is unprepared for class or is medically unable to participate they will be given a written assignment for the period to get a small amount of credit for the day.
2. Grading Procedures:
- Students will be graded on a 0-4 scale, daily, according to the physical education rubric.
- Students are also required to take a written FINAL that will be averaged into their overall grade.
- Overall preparation and participation will be monitored on a daily basis by all of the Physical Education Teachers.
- During remote education, students’ grades will be based off their work that is handed in and graded. This will include daily exit ticket assessments and their weekly fitness logs.
3. Daily Procedures for in-person learning. (Pre COVID-19 Pandemic):
- Upon entering the gymnasium students are to hand in their cell phones. They will be held in the PE office and returned at the end of the class once all students have dressed and exited the locker-room.
- Upon entering the Locker-Room, place bags, coats, and belongings in a locker. You must purchase your own lock as we do not provide one for you! The lock is only for that period, and must be removed at the end of that class period.
- Put on appropriate sneakers and remove any jewelry.
- Go to assigned floor spot or location.
Scope & Sequence:
Units of Study-
- Physical Fitness
- Team Handball
- Ultimate Frisbee
- Olympic Sports
- History of the Topic
- Skills need for success
- Positions for players
- Strategy & Game Play