Computer Hardware course outline
School Number: (914) 376-8425
Please note that students can seek extra-help with any teacher.
This course will introduce students to computer hardware for the first half of the year. They will have to identify parts, assemble, and problem solve various scenarios. The second half of the year the focus will be on operating systems specifically various versions of Windows from XP to Windows 10 and networking. They will have to identify and use BIOS, make hardware and software adjustments, and finally get an operating computer assembled and working, in addition to solving many software / hardware issues.
Students by the end of this course should have the knowledge and ability to assemble, disassemble, fix and problem solve hardware and software compatibility issues.
You are required to have a Microsoft Teams Account, Clever Account; Schoology Account - (to be determined) and a Khan Academy account (for other classes). It is your responsibility to check those accounts for latest assignments, tests, grades, etc. In addition there are other accounts such as SAT/College Board account, your NAVIANCE account for college recommendations, applications and college resume, and various other ones.
- Be on time.
- Be respectful.
- Be prepared.
- Use computers, material and all equipment properly.
- Be enthusiastic and creative!
- You break it, you pay for it.
- By attending this class you automatically agree to these terms.
- For privacy and confidentiality of students, photography, audio, and visual recording is prohibited in the classroom by students. Teacher has the discretion to give a quarter grade of zero.
- Food, drinks, candy/gum.
- Personal electronics CELL PHONES are put on vibrate and in assigned pocket holder. Teacher has option of giving a zero for the quarter or zero for class participation grade,
- Misuse of Internet access.
- Logging onto social websites like Facebook, YouTube, AIM, etc.
A student can earn an “A” for the class by the quality of their work, class participation, and attendance along with meeting deadlines. A student’s grade will be affected by not meeting the criteria for grades below. Please note I have the discretion to change the grading policy as needed. Please login to Microsoft Teams for all your work and lessons.
Classroom Participation/Behavior/ Punctuality - 35%
Paper (reading assignments)/Presentations- 20%
Dress Code 10% (of BONUS Points applied to Classroom Participation)
Extra Credit Assignments must be handed in by due date otherwise no points.
Grades will be based on the following grading scale:
A (100-97%), A- (96-93%), B (92-89%), B- (88-85%), C (84-79%), C- (78-73%),
D (72-65%), F (64% and below)
- Homework and Projects will be assigned based on classroom presentations/Discussions, as well as other source materials.
- Quizzes/Tests will be based on topics covered in class, as well as any handouts and outside reading assigned. You must login to your Schoology or Khan Academy account to access them. Do not share your password or account with anyone. Once the work is submitted, that will be your grade.
- Papers will be typed with certain requirements such as: at least 5 paragraphs, 3 pages minimum, with the following being mandatory: include a bibliography page; double spaced; font-Arial at 12pt; your name; your period and date.
- Materials: Notebook/Folder or 3 ring binder (1.5 or 2in); 1 Black/Blue Pen; *Flash/Thumb drive (at least 4 Gigabytes) to save projects on
Lateness Policy: As it applies to any and all assignments that must completed or turned in at a certain date, every additional day late will be a 10% deduction per day late. Absences do not impact this policy as most assignments can be completed and turned in remotely, so special circumstances that would prevent you from working above and beyond coming to school will require additional documentation (note from doctor or parent). Every three days late will lead to a 10% deduction to your quarterly grade.
Topics Covered during the year (not in order):
1.0: Computing Overview
2.0: PC Technician
3.0: System Components
4.0: Peripheral Devices
8.0: Mobile Devices
9.0: System Management
10.0: System Implementation
11.0: File Management