Immunization Certificates must be signed by a physician and must indicate that the student has been immunized or is in a program to guard against. Families within the United States have 14 days to provide a student’s immunization records. Families coming from outside of the United States have up to 30 days to provide a student’s immunization records.
Students in New York State are required to have immunization for the following:
- Diptheria: 4 or more doses of diphtheria toxoid (DTP, DTaP or DT)
- Tdap is required entering grade 6 or 11 years old and above
- Polio: 3 or more doses of inactivated polio vaccine (IPV/OPV)
- Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) given after 12 months of age
- Second dose of Measles vaccine, preferably Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR), prior to entering Kindergarten
- Hepatitis B: 3 doses
- Varicella vaccine after 1 year of age; 1 dose required for preK, 2 doses required for Kindergarten, Grades 1-4 and 6-10. Second dose of varicella vaccine at least 3 months after first dose
- Haemophilus influenza type b (Hib) 3 doses (or 1 dose administered on or after 15 months of age) prior to entering PreKindergarten,
- Pneumococcal Conjugate Vaccine (PCV) 1-4 doses, after 6 months of age for entry into PreKindergarten
- Tuberculin test (PPD)
- Meningococcal Vaccine: 1 dose mandated for Grades 7-9, 2 doses mandated for 12th grade. First dose should be administered at age 11-12, second dose should be administered at age 16. Second dose is not required if first dose was administered after age 16.
NY State Education Law permits exemptions from immunizations only where immunization, in a physician’s opinion, would endanger the child’s health, or where immunization is contrary to the parents/ guardians’ sincerely-held religious beliefs. Applications for exemption on either of the above grounds must be presented to the Yonkers Public Schools in writing, Exemption forms are available at YPS Health Services Department or New York State Education Department. Medical attestation of contraindications from private medical provider is required for medical exemption to immunizations.
Immunizations may be obtained from:
- A private physician or the Westchester County Health Department (FREE OF CHARGE) by making an appointment at:
- Westchester County Health Department Yonkers Office, 20 South Broadway, Yonkers, NY 10701 (914) 231-2500/2522