Parents' Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security
In accordance with New York State Education Law Section 2-d, the Yonkers Public School District hereby sets forth the following Parents' Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security, which is applicable to all students and their parents and legal guardians. New York State Education Law Section 2-d and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”) protect the confidentiality of personally identifiable information. The following is the Yonkers Public Schools Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security.
1. A student's personally identifiable information cannot be sold or released for any commercial purposes.
2. Parents have the right to inspect and review the complete contents of their child's education record.
3. The District must have safeguards in place to protect your child’s personally identifiable data when it is stored or transferred. These safeguards must meet industry standards and best practices to protect student data. Examples include encryption, firewalls and password protection.
4. You have the right to make complaints about possible breaches of student data and to have complaints addressed.
a. Complaints to Yonkers Public Schools should be directed to: Division of Teaching and learning, Yonkers Public Schools, One Larkin Center, Yonkers NY 10701 or send an email to BORComplaints@yonkerspublicschools.org.
b. Complaints to NYSED should be directed to: Chief Privacy Officer, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany NY 12234 or send an email to CPO@mail.nysed.gov.
5. New York State, through the New York State Education Department, collects a number of student data elements for authorized uses. A complete list of all student data elements collected by the State is available online through http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/sirs/documentation/NYSEDstudentData.xlsx for public review online. You may obtain a copy by writing to: Office of Information & Reporting Services, New York State Education Department, Room 863 EBA, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany NY 12234.
6. For purposes of further ensuring confidentiality and security of student data, as an appendix to the Parents’ Bill of Rights each contract Yonkers Public schools enters into with a third party contractor shall include the following supplemental information:
a. the exclusive purposes for which the student, principal or teacher data will be used;
b. how the third party contractor will share the student, principal or teacher data with, if any, will abide by data protection and security requirements;
c. agreement expiration and what happens to the student, principal or teacher data after the expiration of the agreement;
d. if and how a parent, eligible student, teacher or principal may challenge the accuracy of the student, principal or teacher data that is collected; and e. where the student, principal or teacher data will be stored (described in such a manner as to protect data security), and the security protections taken to ensure such data will be protected, including whether such data will be encrypted.
The Yonkers Public Schools Parents’ Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security reflects information available as of this document's creation. The District Bill of Rights is subject to revision and is projected for revision in accordance with further guidance received, including guidance through NYSED.
Additional information is available on the New York State Education Department website.