For home based learning questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or send a message on the REMIND APP.
Phone: 914-376-8540 Hours (Mon.-Fri.) 10am-1:30pm
Degrees and Certifications:
BS in Elementary Education 1999 Masters in Reading 2003 AMS (American Montessori Society)-Elementary Certified
Mrs. Katarina Hoxhaj
My learning from home office hours are Monday through Friday 10am-1:30pm. Please contact me for questions, comments, and guidance through my e-mail and on the REMIND APP. This page will be updated often, so please visit each week.
Check your mailboxes for delivery #1 week of 3/23/2020 and delivery #2 week of 3/30/2020 from me!
Spring Recess is Monday, April 6 through Monday, April 13. Distance learning resumes Tuesday, April 14.
Please have your child log into Clever to use the websites on our class page and the sites we have already have set up for our class. Once logged into Clever, your child will have an abundance of things to do both on the school district page and our class page. These websites support the common core, what we do in class and your child has assignments to complete:
Zearn.org, Happynumbers, Freckle, Sumdog, i-Ready and Castle Learning. A Mystery Science link has also been added to the assignment tab on my class page.
First and Second graders will use "self study" in Castle Learning. Third graders will use "self study" and there are assignments for them to do in both math and ela.
In addition, my students can use Clever and go on our class page to find brainpopjr, storyonline, gonoodle, bookflix and lightbox (use 6 digit ID for username and student for password) and more!
Look for the "electronic learning" tab on the district website. There is a drop down tab for other languages on the district website.
*Please visit our library media specialist's page, Mrs. Westphal. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page where you will find additional resources for your child to use. In addition, please visit Ms. Bedlington's page (gym), Mrs. Robbins' page (art) and Mr. Kaplan's page (music) as they have activities posted for your child to complete.
*Check out Lunch Doodles with children's author, Mo Willems at 1:00 every weekday. https://www.kennedy-center.org/ Please send me pictures of your child's creations if you haven't already.
For now, your child should work on the computer and/or in the packet for 4-5, 20 minute increments each day with 15-20 minute "brain breaks" in between. A "brain break" includes playing outside, building a lego creation, having a snack, drawing, listening to music, and so on.
School distance learning:
*Create a schedule with your child about how each day will work. Divide the time for your child with: work(packets and journaling), computer(i-Ready, sum dog, etc.), reading, brain breaks, meals and family time.
1. Please allow them to use all of the above websites and ideas!
2. Packets of work (by grade) are available to print off this page and off of the district's "electronic learning" tab.
3. Please have your child read books on a daily basis and write summaries about what they've read in a notebook. Upon return to school, they can share it with classmates. Don't forget to fill in the reading log that is attached to the packets and an extra copy was sent to you in the mail during the week of 3/23/2020!
4. If your child has the Journeys textbook, please have them read the next story/stories for practice. They will then be prepared for lessons upon return to school.
5. Work on STEAM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) activities at home. These activities use everyday materials. For example: building a leprechaun trap, building a bridge, baking soda volcano, make an instrument, and so on.
6. Please visit Scholastic's Learn at Home website. www.scholastic.com/learnathome There are 20+ days of free resources for your child to complete. It includes articles, stories, videos, and fun learning challenges.
7. Use the district's electronic learning tab for additional resources and work.
8. Journal daily using the reading and writing menus that were sent home by me.
9. We may be doing a ZOOM conference. Invitation will follow on the REMIND APP and/or in an email.
Please contact Mrs. Hoxhaj with questions on the following: