For home based learning questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or send a message on the REMIND APP.
Phone: 914-376-8540 School Hours (Mon.-Fri.) 7:35am-2:15pm
Degrees and Certifications:
BS in Elementary Education 1999 Masters in Reading 2003 AMS (American Montessori Society)-Elementary Certified
Mrs. Katarina Hoxhaj
Welcome Back To School! Please read this entire page carefully and to its entirety.
Please contact me for questions, comments, and guidance through my e-mail email@example.com and on the REMIND APP. Please join our class on the REMIND APP. Please email me for the details on how to join. See #9 below for log in details needed for instruction and class meetings.
Our daily schedule can be found in Teams under "files". Please note that this schedule is subject to change depending upon the needs of the students, technology delays, etc.
Track A students go in-person on Monday and Tuesday while Track B and D students listen in/participate remotely. Everyone learns remotely on Wednesdays. Track B students go in-person on Thursday and Friday while Track A and D students listen in/participate remotely.
14 things that are part of school distance learning in our class:
1. On hybrid days, Wednesdays, and times your child is not with Mrs. Hoxhaj- create a written/typed schedule with your child about how each day will work when learning remotely. See our schedule in Teams under "files". Divide the day regarding the following categories:
A. working on things that will be sent home or posted online (For example: homework, packets, workbooks, studying, journaling, projects, and steam activities)
B. computer time (Clever, Microsoft Teams meetings through Office 365), Benchmark, and class assigned websites. See #9 for log in details.
C. completing the specials teacher's work posted on their own class pages (art:Mrs. Malone, music:Mr. Kaplan, and gym:Ms.Bedlington)
D. project due dates, assessments
E. brain breaks (stretching, playing outside, lego time, snacks, listening to music, etc.)
F. meals and family time.
2. Please make sure your child knows how to access the following INDEPENDENTLY for our remote learning days: Clever (access on YPS web page), Microsoft Teams (access through Clever and Office 365). Allow your child to use and equally rotate the websites assigned on my Clever page. PLEASE NOTE THAT EVERYTHING IS ACCESSIBLE THROUGH CLEVER UNDER OUR CLASS PAGE! SEE #9 for log in details.
3. Homework can be found at the bottom of the daily agenda that I have in files on Teams. I will send the agenda on the REMIND APP each day as well. Please send pictures of your child's completed homework in an email or on Remind. Once we start in-person for ALL students, check the homework sheet (1st grade)/pad(2nd & 3rd grades). If assignments are posted on any other platform, you will be notified.
4. Our reading program is called Benchmark. Your child will access this through Clever. Your child has assignments and assessments to complete there. For Benchmark assessments- if using an iPad/tablet- you must block disable pop ups in your settings and use Chrome or Edge in the browser.
5. Complete STEAM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) activities when sent home. These activities will use everyday materials. For example: building a leprechaun trap, building a bridge, baking soda volcano, and so on.
6. Enrichment- Please visit Scholastic's Learn at Home website. www.scholastic.com/learnathome. There are 20+ days of free resources for your child to complete. It includes articles, stories, videos, and fun learning challenges. You can also find other educational platforms on Clever through your child's account.
7. Distance learning will require full engagement and dedication! See #9 for log in details!
Microsoft Teams meetings will be held. Your child is required to attend them during their entirety. Please set up a consistent work space where your child can sit down and focus for an extended period of time that is free of distractions such as high traffic areas in your home, pets, siblings, and television.
A. Students must be present and engaged! Here are my virtual class goals...
Do's: Login on time at 7:35, camera on the entire time, materials ready (Learn book, Practice book, Benchmark workbook, notebook, timer, headphones and tools for writing and drawing), active participation in lessons, be in a quiet area free from distractions, dress in school appropriate clothing and when you have something to share- raise your hand or select the raise hand button, be appropriate and kind during break out sessions with classmates and in the chat, eat and use the bathroom before logging in.
Don'ts: be late, leave early, eat while we are meeting (you'll have a break for that), play with siblings or toys, walk around, use the bathroom (you'll have a break for that), chat with friends in chat box during a lesson, change your background, hold up toys or other items in front of the camera, unmute yourself unless called upon by a teacher, get sidetracked by distractions, take control of the whiteboard or screen during a meeting.
B. Parents & guardians- please make appointments outside of the school day (even when we are learning remotely). If your child must miss class, needs to end early or will be late, please let me know in advance.
C. Attendance will be taken. The school day begins at 7:35am and ends at 2:15pm. The schedule is subject to change based on the needs of our students. Participation will be documented. Wednesday is a Flex day unless we have a holiday on the Monday prior, then that Wednesday will be a full day. Text or email me when you're not sure of the schedule. I post it on Remind everyday. The schedule can be found in Teams under "files".
D. If your child misses the meeting, they must make up the work. Please email me so I can update you on what was missed.
E. When your child is not in a live session, independent work should be completed on Benchmark and in the varied packets you have received thus far. Your child can also go on the websites you received passwords to.
8. Visit the Books tab on this page for book recommendations by me. I will update this list of my favorite books so please re-visit it. You can also visit the Photos tab. Click on the letter i located on the top, left hand side of each photo for details. I'll add more photos as time goes on. Thank you for sending them to me.
9. Your child does have an e-mail through the district, which is their 6digit ID@yonkerspublicschools.org. First, log into Clever. Then select my class page. Next check into the office.com portal (office 365). They may be prompted to enter their firstname.lastname@example.org. Their password is the network password they use to log into Clever which should be their birthday (example: 09/08/2000).
To find a meeting, go in the calendar.
If you can not find your child's Team, parents can add their child's account to their phone or Outlook software from their own computer. This way the parent can see all of the emails their child receives. Also, please note some devices may need you to add the Office 365 app.
10. Virtual Field Trips: Hudson River Museum's, Museum from Home for storytime and more at hrm.org/museumfromhome
Yonkers Public Library website
kids.sandiegozoo.org- Live cams and animal videos.
census.gov https://govalleykids.com/virtual-fieldtrips/ https://njtvonline.org
11. Your child will be able to access our Scholastic News and Science Spin subscriptions @ scholastic.com/sn2 Please stay tuned for student code that I will send via the REMIND APP.
12. Please follow our schedule in Teams. I also will send it to you daily on the REMIND APP.
13. If I am absent, and your child is home, you can download the grade appropriate packet for them to do on that day which can be found on the very top of this page.
14. Communicate with Mrs. Hoxhaj. I am here to help! We are in this together. Please contact Mrs. Hoxhaj using the following: