College Board Testing Day October 10, 2018
To ensure that our students’ post-secondary aspirations become a reality, the District has officially designated Wednesday, October 10th as the annual College Board Testing Day. These in-school assessments exemplify the District’s pursuit to provide equity and access to the college process and are at NO COST to families. On this date, all high school students will be taking one of the following College Board exams:
Grade 9, 10 and 11 – PSAT
The “Preliminary SAT” is thought to be the best training for students in preparation for the SAT exam and qualifies 11th grade students for potential National Merit Scholarships.
Grade 12 – SAT
The SAT exam is the benchmark standardized test used by colleges and universities during the college admissions process to judge a student’s college readiness and potential to succeed at the institution.
October 10th is a MANDATORY school day for all students in grades 9-12. It begins at 7:45 a.m.
- Dismissal for 9th, 10th, and 11th grade students is 11:30 a.m.
- 12th grade students dismiss upon completion of the SAT exam.
Palisade Prep and Yonkers Montessori Academy ONLY
- No school for grades 7 & 8
Yonkers Middle High School ONLY
- No school for grades 6, 7, and 8
College and career readiness is a goal in our 3 year District strategic plan. Our faculty and staff have worked tirelessly to ensure that all students take advantage of this wonderful opportunity. Families can:
- Discuss the College Board assessment with your child
- Visit the College Board website collegeboard.org to sign your child up for free SAT preparation through Khan Academy and for additional information
- Make sure your children in grades 9-12 arrive to school early with several No. 2 pencils and a graphing or scientific calculator
- Students should create their own account on the website in order to practice for the PSAT/SAT
If you have any questions regarding the College Board Testing Day, please contact the main office of your child’s school.
Yonkers Public Schools is proud to dedicate an entire day to assisting our students in reaching their future collegiate goals.